become citizen of canada
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is the federal department that manages Canadian citizenship. New Canadians have taken loyalty oaths pledging their commitment to the responsibilities and privileges of Canadian citizenship.
- To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, you must meet ALL the following conditions:
- Be at least 18 years-of-age
- Have permanent resident status
- Have lived in Canada for at least four years (1,460 days) in the past six years before you apply. This does not apply to children under the age of 18.
- Physical presence in Canada
- Have lived in Canada 183 days in each calendar year for four out of six years
- Intention to reside provision after citizenship
- Language abilities: 18 – 64 years of age must have written language ability tests
- Not be criminally prohibited; four-year ban for convictions in/outside Canada
- Have submitted income tax returns for four of the last six years
- Demonstrate how well you know Canada